13 steps on how to prepare for a move out
How to prepare for a move out
When it comes to moving out of your current place it is no surprise that there is a lot to prepare and get ready for. Knowing how to prepare for a move out will ensure that everything goes well on move day and will also help to ensure that you don’t end up going crazy due to all the stress. With this in mind we have put together a list of 11 steps that will help you to prepare for a move out. There will always be other things to do when preparing for a move but if you follow our 11 steps you will be in a good place and ready for your move out.
13 Steps on how to prepare for a move out
- Make a checklist Create a checklist of all the tasks you need to complete before the move, and cross them off as you go. This will help you stay organized and on track.
- Create a moving budget: Determine how much money you have available for the move and make a budget for all the expenses involved, including hiring a moving company, renting a truck, and packing materials.
- Hire a moving company: Consider hiring a professional moving company to help with the heavy lifting and transportation of your belongings. Get estimates from several companies and choose one that fits your budget and needs. Check out our post on How to choose the right moving company.
- Start packing early: Begin packing as soon as possible, starting with items you use less frequently. Use sturdy boxes and wrap items in bubble wrap or packing paper to protect them during the move.
- Disassemble furniture: Take apart any large furniture items that can be disassembled, such as beds and tables. This will make them easier to move and also help protect them during the move.
- Take an inventory: Make a list of all your belongings, including serial numbers and descriptions of valuable items. This can be helpful for insurance purposes in case any items are lost or damaged during the move.Label boxes: Clearly label each box with its contents and the room it belongs in at the new residence. This will make it easier to unpack and get settled in your new home
- Collect important documents: Gather important documents, such as birth certificates, passports, and insurance papers, and keep them in a safe place where you can easily access them during the move.
- Have a garage sale: Consider having a garage sale to get rid of items you no longer need or want. This can help reduce the amount of stuff you have to move and also bring in some extra money.
- Arrange for childcare: If you have children, make arrangements for childcare on the day of the move. This will allow you to focus on the task at hand and not have to worry about your children’s safety.
- Set up utilities: Arrange to have your utilities turned off at your current residence and set up at your new one.
- Change your address: Notify the post office of your change of address, and make sure to update your address with any subscriptions, banks, and other institutions.
- Make travel arrangements: If you are moving a long distance, make arrangements for transportation for yourself and any pets you may have.
- Hire a cleaner -Consider hiring a cleaning service to clean your old home when you move out. When you complete your move the last thing you want to do is to have to keep going back to your old home to clean it. Hiring a cleaning service will also help to make sure you get your deposit back from your landlord.