Category: Your Moving Questions Answered
Does GoodWill take TV’s?
Yes goodWill does take TV’s as donations. They can not take CRT TV’s which are the older style tube TV’s
Items GoodWill can accept
Goodwill happily accepts the following new or gently used items:
- Vehicles—We accept donations of vehicles in all conditions. Learn more and fill out a vehicle donation form on our Vehicle Donation Page to get started.
- Clothing, shoes and boots
- Hats, gloves, mittens, and scarves
- Books, records, CDs, videotapes, and DVDs
- Games, toys, and sports equipment
- Housewares: dishes, glassware, kitchen utensils, lamps, and small appliances
- Collectibles, antiques, knickknacks, and other giftware
- Hand tools and small power tools
- Domestics: linens, curtains, blankets, etc.
- Electronics including but not limited to:
- Flat-screen monitors (no CRTs)
- Hard drives
- Cell phones
- DVD players
- TVs working flat screen (no CRTs)
To help you determine your donations fair market value Goodwill is happy to provide a “Value Guide” that offers average prices in our stores for items in good condition.
Items GoodWill can not accept
They CANNOT accept the following items:
- Chairs, stools, or couches
- Mattresses and bed frames
- Desks or other office furniture
- Tables of any kind
- Dressers, bookcases, entertainment centers, etc.
- Large exercise equipment
- Pianos or organs
- CRT TVs
- CRT Computer Monitors
- Household chemical products such as pesticides, paint, paint thinner, drain cleaner, oven cleaner, aerosols, and other environmentally unfriendly waste products.
- Automotive hazardous waste such as tires, lead-acid batteries, additives, gasoline, oils, antifreeze, etc.
- Large appliances such as refrigerators, freezers, stoves/ovens, washers/dryers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, furnaces, trash compactors, water heaters, large console stereos, freon-based appliances, etc.
- Personal care items such as shampoo, conditioner, nail polish remover, shaving cream, hairsprays, or shavers
- Fragrance items
- Carpet or carpet padding
- Plumbing fixtures or building materials
- Traditional recyclables such as glass, newsprint, office paper, cardboard, plastics, magazines, junk mail, etc.
- Weapons such as guns, bows and arrows, ammunition, etc.
- Cribs, car seats, walkers or other products that do not meet the current safety standards of the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, including recalled items.
Does Salvation Army Take Books?
Yes the Salvation Army does accept books, including hardback and paperback books.
The donations go to stock the Salvation Army store, or to provide reading materials for Salvation Army’s homeless shelters. You can find drop-off locations in your community on the Salvation Army website.
If you would like other place to donate your books to also check out our post on Where to donate books when moving.
Salvation Army Accepted Items
Antiques & Rare Items
Bedding and Linens
Bikes, Skateboards, and Scooters
Books and Textbooks
Furniture (smaller items: Chairs / Upholstered Chairs, Chest, Coffee/End Tables, Secretary Desk)
Housewares and Small Home Appliances
Movies, Music, and Media
Purses, Bags, and Luggage
Sofas (see unacceptable types below)
Toys and Games
Items Salvation Army does not Accept
Blinds all types
Building supplies of ANY type
Carpet or Padding
Curtain rods, Drapery Rods, Drapes
Doors & Door Frames
Fencing (all kinds), include barbed wire
Plumbing Fixtures: Sinks, Toilets, Bathtubs, Shower doors
Water Heaters or softeners
HAZARDOUS or SAFETY ISSUES
Batteries / Car Parts including tires and wheels
Guns, Firearms, and Ammunition
Hazardous Materials of ANY type
Insecticides, Paint or other toxic materials
Refrigerators due to freon
Baby items such as: Cribs, car seats, strollers, rockers, playpens.
Medical equipment such as walkers, wheelchairs, canes, crutches, etc.
Medical supplies such as hand sanitizer, masks, etc.
LARGE OR BULKY ITEMS
Mattresses (spring or memory foam)
Office Machines, Copiers
Swing Sets or Playground Equipment